This is from Bikewise
Cyclist or motorist? Be aware!
Whether you’re on the road as a cyclist or a motorist, it’s vital to make yourself seen and look out for other road users. Cyclists are particularly vulnerable in low-light and poor weather conditions, especially if they’re not prepared with the right bike lights and high-visibility gear.
It’s easy to do so, too, for just a small investment. Together with Consumer NZ, the Greater Wellington Regional Council has tested a selection of bike lights (all under $100) and reflective garments for effectiveness. View the full test results here.
Quite a few regions around the country are running Be Bright campaigns to help local cyclists get more visible. Check out the Bike Wise events calendar to find out if there is a Be Bright campaign in your area.
Making sure you can be seen is also the law. Penalties include:
- A $55 fine for no lights on your bike
- A $55 fine for no tail light on your bike
- A $55 fine for no red reflector or tape.
Did you know?
- It costs around $25 to $60 for a good set of lights.
- For $14, you can buy slap bands, reflective stickers, an LED bag clip and spoke reflectors from the Bike Wise online shop.